Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Some short movie reviews...

Y Tu Mama, Tambien  - finally saw this after what, ten years of it being out? It's really good. Juxtaposition of Mexican poverty and the love lives of two teenage boys and an older Spanish woman. Interesting twist at the end, in the sense that I felt it brought together two seemingly unconnected stories? I can see how some people would artistically find it a jarring movie though...

Shame - Not sure I liked it, but it was interesting. I couldn't connect to the characters, or feel much empathy or sympathy for them, without knowing more about how/why they were both so fucked up. What about the other people that intersected with their lives? None of them were particularly good foils, aside from the main characters boss (also, a douchebag). I liked a lot of the cinematography though and it told the story as it unfolded well. Just needed more exposition for my tastes. Great filming of the sex scenes...

Shortbus - Had never even heard of this, though of course I knew of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Entertaining. Sad. Funny. Sexy too. I don't think this is as remarkable of a movie about sex as the director hoped, but it IS refreshing. It's a pretty nicely written piece with some amateur acting chops and is fun to watch.

A Very Long Engagement - well, it's also a very long movie, but it's a really interesting tale. A polio-stricken woman trying to find out what happened to her fiancee on the frontlines of WWI speaks a little too much to romantic movie to me, and with Jeunet, I figured it would maybe be a weird romantic piece. Kind of played more like a detective movie in some parts, with everyone contributing to help solve the mystery of 5 condemned prisoners, one among them the fiancee of Audrey Tautou. I had to stick this movie out and finish it, and felt mostly rewarded by it too.


No comments: